Saturday, August 21, 2010

Levi's adventure to the ER

Well I knew it was going to happen sooner or later. I am just impressed it took 8 months before someone finally got sick! Yesterday was not Levi's day. He woke up in the morning and he was fine. He played all morning, ate his food, was all around in a great mood. Then it came time for his afternoon nap. He was not having it. I tried his crib...he screamed. I tried the porta-crib in our room...he screamed. So I ended up laying on our bed with him and he drifted off to sleep. After he was asleep I move him to the porta-crib. That lasted maybe 15 minutes. So I gave up and brought him downstairs. He felt a little warm so I gave him tylenol thinking he was teething. I then put him on the couch so he could have a little nap there.

Around 4:30/5:00ish Alan had picked him up from playing/fussing to change his diaper. He felt warm so I took his temp. 101.8. Well that needed to be called in to the Dr. I called the Dr.'s office and got the number for the after hours. They said to keep an eye on him and if it reached 104/105 call back. At this point he was extremely fussy and tired. So I fed him his bottle and then set him up on the couch again where he drifted in and out of sleep. He woke up around 9 and I was going to just give him tylenol and put him up in bed. When I picked him up he felt like he was on fire! I took his temp. 105! I called the after hours again and they told us to go to the ER.

We went to Doyelstown Hospital. (Don't worry my Mother-in-law, Sister-in-law, and Grandmother-in-law were visiting and stayed with Nathan and Paige.) We got there and the took his temp. I had given him tylenol before we left and that had brought his temp down to 102.8. They checked his vital signs. His heartrate was elevated because of the fever. Everything else was good. They checked his ears and throat. No infection there. They did a chest x-ray. Came back clear. They then decided they wanted to collect some urine for testing so they needed to cath him. Well this did not go over very well. It seemed like he had just gone recently in his diaper. When they cathed him there was nothing to be found. They kept moving it around and pressing on him trying to get urine. Poor kid was screaming the whole time. Finally they gave up and decided to put a bag on him.

Well by now it is 1am. Alan and I are exhausted and Levi was beyond exhausted. The Dr. came in and decided she wanted to do bloodwork if it was ok with us. I decided that Levi had had enough and he needed to be home in bed. How is he going to fight anything without any sleep. His bedtime is 6:30pm for crying out loud! She said that since his temp was coming down from the motrin that they gave him she felt ok with us leaving. She said if at anytime he got worse to come right back and they would do the bloodwork to find out what was going on.

We left the ER around 1:15am and got home around 1:45am. Alan changed and fed Levi while I made bottles for the next day. Today he was doing much better. This morning he had a temp when he woke up..101 I think. We had some cuddle time and just relaxed all day. By the end of the day his fever was gone and he was starting to act like himself again. We still have no clue what caused this...nor do I know if it is officially over. But I am glad he is feeling better. Hopefully tomorrow he will feel even better after a good nights sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment